[omniORB] load balancing example

Wed, 25 Aug 1999 09:35:16 +0100

On Wednesday 18 August, Andrew Wong wrote:

> When I was reading the newsgroups about CORBA and I found people
> mentioning loading balancing with the dynamic property features of
> COS Trading Service and the location forwarding features of POA.
> Some commerical vendors "extend" their Naming service or have their
> own CORBA service for loading balancing.
>
> It seems that OmniORB doesn't have these features yet. Therefore, I
> am mostly interested on how OmniORB handles loading balancing. As a
> beginnner, some coding examples will be most helpful.

omniORB doesn't `handle' load balancing, in the sense that it doesn't
have any built-in code to balance requests between different objects.
It does fully support location forwarding, though, so it is possible
to implement such things yourself. Until the POA is released, the
interface to sending location forward messages is proprietary, since
the BOA spec didn't mention such things.

For trading services, you might want to look at

  http://www.dstc.edu.au/Products/CORBA/Trading_Service/

who claim that their CosTrading implementation will be available for
omniORB soon.