WG: [omniORB] load balancing example

Schmidmeier, Arno Arno.Schmidmeier@sirius-eos.com
Thu, 19 Aug 1999 11:30:07 +0200

There is also a big discussion about load balancing in "Enterprise =
CORBA"
from SLAMA, et. al.
A good discussion about load balancing is also found in, a book called
something=20
like "CORBA Management" from Claudia Linnhof-Popien. (Name repeated =
from
memory, so please appologize any mistakes).
Unfortuantley for the non german speaking community, this book in =
german.

I consider a good load balancing strategy as a very good tool, but =
there are
some points which you should think of:
Load balancing increases in most cases the performance, but there are =
some
cases possible, where load balanacing could lead to a performance =
drawback.
(See the article "some myth about load balancing", unfortuantely I do =
not
have the author at hand.)

However it is very important to consider the loadbalancing strategy.
A "unlucky" choosen load-balancing strategy (like round robin) could =
have a
negative impact to overall performance.=20
See some articles from Schiemann.

Additional do not underestimate the additional overhead for the load
balancing.
So prefere a load placement strategy, than a dynamic load switching
strategy.

I hope this information might be usefull for somebody.

Arno Schmidmeier

*
*
Arno Schmidmeier