[omniORB] [omniNames] no apparent communication

Paul Fredrickson qmoto@earthlink.net
Wed, 4 Aug 1999 23:38:57 -0700

I'm running the latest omniORB (2.8.0.pre1) on my Linux box (2.2.10 kernel,
egcs 1.1.2, glibc 2.0).  It seems to build and run fine, except when it
tries to use omniNames.  For example, running the echo samples works
perfectly in the first two cases, but eg3 doesn't.

I'm admitedly new to omniORB and CORBA, but I tried to do some detective
work anyway.  It seems to correctly determine my hostname with address
127.0.0.1, and omniNames _does_ add its root context to its private
serviceList (I forget the actual variable names), but when I switch windows
and run eg3_impl, it eventually goes into resolve_initial_references and
get("NameService"), but the serviceList is empty.  I'm not sure if it's
supposed to be the same list (since I'm a little fuzzy on separate address
spaces but common library code.  If it's just on the localhost, is
singleton() supposed to return the same address for all apps linked to it? )
Anyway, it doesn't find the context, so eg3_impl throws a no_resources
exception and dies.  I ran an strace on both processes too, and both open
sockets on different ports (1065 for omniNames, a random one in the case of
eg3_impl) but neither appear to read or write to them at any point.  Again,
I have to say I'm unsure where the communication is actually supposed to be
but I'd really appreciate a couple of hints as to where I should be looking,
since this is probably just a configuration problem on my part.

Thanks,

--Paul