[omniORB] omniORB & oak ORB

Arnault Bonafos abonafos@tumbleweed.com
Thu, 29 Apr 1999 10:09:47 -0700

Sai-Lai Lo wrote:

> > Does someone has tried to interoperate omniORB with oak ORB ?
> > I've an echo example which works only when oak ORB is client but not
> > server.
> > They say that they have achieved interoperability with VisiBroker and
> > Orbix C++.
>
> If I am to bet, I would say oak ORB cannot handle GIOP LocateRequest.
> If you want to verify if this is the case, comment out the call to
> assertObjectExistent() in <2.7.1>/src/lib/omniORB2/orbcore/proxyCall.cc and
> recompile.
>
> By the way, what is oak ORB?
>
> Sai-Lai
>
> P.S. I'm a bit tired of sorting out all these interoperability problems
>      where it is often the case that the other party does not fully
>      implement GIOP 1.0 spec. I just had a similar experience yesterday with
>      an external test suite I'm running omniORB2 against.

I agree your post-scriptum, I fact I think It's due to oak Java ORB which can
be server since recently only. So this question was about peoples who have
tried such interoperability, if they could confirm the problem.
I've tried omniORB with ORBacus and VisiBroker successfully, the other Java ORB
had problems with their compiler, as we have a large bunch of idl files to test
them.
I've made the changes requested above on proxyCall.cc but id it does not make
difference, client seems to wait ad finitum for server to respond.

OAK CORBA ORB is a product of Paragon Software (I'm not from Paragon):
"The OAK CORBA ORB is a fast, portable, compliant CORBA 2.0 ORB available with
C++ and Java language bindings." Steve Bowman has given the right URL
http://www.paragon-software.com/products/oak/index.html

You have an external test suite, could you make it available on the web site or
somewhere else, so that people would be less boring testing themselves such
questions.

--
Arnault Bonafos
Tumbleweed Software, CA