[omniORB] Question about ORB_init

Randy Shoup rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Wed, 28 Apr 1999 12:14:05 -0700

You should usually ask questions to the mailing list.  You are more
likely to get a quick response that way.

Cristi wrote:

> I want to answer you another question.
> If my client uses an implementation on machine x.x.x and in the same client
> I want to contact another object on machine y.y.y what should I do? I sould
> call ORB_init with different 'argv' to specify the y.y.y Host? (It's not
> necessary for me to maintain the connection with the host x.x.x )

In CORBA, the client does not explicitly know where an implementation
object resides.  This information is encapsulated in the IOR (object
reference).  There is no explicit initialization you have to do to the
ORB in order to connect to and use implementation objects on other
machines.  Even in the local machine case, you do not tell the ORB "I
want to connect to my local machine".

As long as you have object references to object A on your local machine
and object B on a remote machine, you should be able to simply invoke on
those object references, and CORBA will do the rest.

Perhaps you should take a look at the OmniORB user's guide or the CORBA
spec?

Regards,
-- Randy
Randy Shoup                                     (650)569-3682
Software Architect                              rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tumbleweed Software Corporation