[omniORB] Persistent IOR for omniNames

Jonathan Buchanan buchanan@olsen.ch
Tue, 27 Apr 1999 07:42:57 +0200

Hi,

I tried starting up omniNames for the first time having first
pre-configured omniORB.cfg to contain the following:

ORBInitialHost myhost
ORBInitialPort 4900

I used the command omniNames -start 4900 which wrote the following:

Mon Apr 26 17:56:55 1999:

Starting omniNames for the first time.
Wrote initial log file.
Read log file successfully.
Root context is IOR:00ffebb8... etc

Then I stopped the process and restarted it using just the command
omniNames to check that the IOR was the same.  It wasn't:

Mon Apr 26 18:03:29 1999:

Read log file successfully.
Root context is IOR:00ffebc8... etc

The 7th hex digit was different.  The rest of the ref was the same.

Stopping again and restarting again generates the same IOR as on the
previous restart.  But I am surprised that on every restart the IOR is
never quite the same as when omniNames was started "for the first
time".  Is this expected behaviour?

Regards,
Jon