[omniORB] Lost one-way calls

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
22 Apr 1999 14:03:49 +0100

> Could this be the case where the server side of the connection does an
> idle timeout at just the wrong time, and hence drops the message on
> the floor.

> I have always though that because of this problem the default idle
> timeout should be significantly higher on the server side than the
> client side. At the present they are the same.

This question was raised last year. I think you are right about the cause
of the dropped oneway messages in that the server has closed the
connection and this info has not been propagated through the tcp layer to
the socket level when the client sends the one way message. Notice that if
the socket returns an error when sending a one way message, the ORB would
establish a new connection and re-send the one way message so no messages
are lost.

The solution is simple:

1. Disable idle incoming connection shutdown on the server side. Info on
   how to do this is in chapter 7 of the user guide.

or

2. Don't use oneway and just use normal request-reply invocation.

Sai-Lai

--
Sai-Lai Lo                                   S.Lo@uk.research.att.com
AT&T Laboratories Cambridge           WWW:   http://www.uk.research.att.com