[omniORB] some beginner questions

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Mon, 19 Apr 1999 09:19:07 -0400

In Message <008d01be8a52$9eaecdc0$0201a8c0@intranet.cti> ,
   "Cristi" <bcristi@cti.ro> wrote:

=>Hi.
=>I'm new with CORBA and OmniORB and
=>I have some questions:
=>
=>1) Is there a possibility to count the number of clients of an object at
=>some moment?

   Not without implementing your own client-management mechanism.

=>2) Can be a client refused for some reasons?

   Different ORBs provide different mechanisms for access control.
OmniORB has a Gatekeeper facility which lets you implement access
control on connections, with hostname-based access control included.
I don't believe it includes object level control.

=>3) Suppose you have OmniORB installed on 2 computers and you have an
=>implementation and you don't know on which ORB of two is registered.
=>Can you make the two ORBs to communicate so that If you call an object and
=>you look to host on which the object is not registered, the ORB on this
=>computer to be able to contact the other ORB and to provide the
=>implementation requested?

   If I read your question correctly and you want it to automatically
load implementation code that is needed, no, OmniORB doesn't do this
itself. I believe there are hooks which may allow you to do this
yourself, if needed. Or you could just register your objects in a
naming (or trader) service and use that to locate and use the objects
on the remote machine.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories