[omniORB] Per process and per object filters

Frank Lynch flynch@emhain.wit.ie
Tue, 6 Apr 1999 18:48:53 +0100 (IST)

Some comments and questions inline...

-snip-
> There are no filters in omniORB -- such things are outside the CORBA
> spec., and are therefore non-portable.

I think interceptors are now part of the CORBA spec.
don't they provide the same functionality as filters - if do they exist in
omniORB or are there plans to implement them?

-snip-
> So, if you just want to be able to call operations of an object
> concurrently, either from a single client or multiple clients, then
> omniORB automatically supports it.

Question - isen't this *very* dangerous?
If omniORB by default allows concurrent operation calls on an object then
all the member variables of the class must be made thread safe in order to
avoid race conditions! - am I wrong about this?  If this is the case I
have to modify lots of code.

So its not the case (as in Orbix) that there may be many threads handling
IIOP requests and these threads then dispatch the request to the main
thread where the object resides??

Can you please clarify this.
A very worried
Frank Lynch.