[omniORB] What to do if you cannot unsubscribe from omniorb-list

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
28 Sep 1998 18:31:20 +0100

Ruch,

> Before the flames about sending "unsubscribe" messages to the list
> start again, could we get a clarification about how the unsubscribe
> process works at ORL?  I tried to get off the list last week using
> the instructions posted by Sai-Lai, but all I got was a mail from
> majordomo stating that the request was being forwarded to the list
> maintainer (I assume that's Sai-Lai).  I'm still on the list.

I've unsubscribed you at lunch time today. The procedure I described should
work unless the 'From: ' field in the unsubscribe message does not
correspond to the entry in the omniorb-list. (Your entry is
ruch@voicenet.com and you have 'From: "Scott W. Ruch" <scott@ruch.com>".)
Under this condition, majordomo drops the request as an error to the
maintainer, which for the time being is me. My mail filter collect these
error messages into a sepearate folder which I only read every few
weeks. There are too many messages in the folder about transient mail
delivery errors which are not particularly interesting to read :-)

> It would be cordial to have a web page on the omniORB site with
> mailto: URLs for subscribing / unsubscribing to the list.

Could do but this doesn't help with the special cases such as yours.

In future, if anyone is not able to unsubscribe from omniorb-list by
sending the unsubscribe message to omniorb-list-request, please send
unsubscribe to s.lo@orl.co.uk. I should deal with that promptly.

Regards,

Sai-Lai

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND