[omniORB] Troubles with naming service under win95

sfurss - Simon Fursse SFURSS@acxiom.co.uk
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 20:15:27 +0100

Hi

I had a similar problem and resolved it by making sure the host name of
the win95 machine was set correctly and contained valid information.
ie. Network Neighborhood - properties, Identification tab - Computer
Name.

I found this needed to be set to a simple ascii string not containing
'@' or '-' characters.

It worked for me.!

Simon Fursse.

Hi,
I'm new to omniORB and to CORBA in general. I've downloaded
an omniORB 2.5.0 distribution and tried to install it under win95,
according to documentation. Unfortunately, I can't configure the
naming service. I set all environment variables and run
omninames, but got message:
C:\>omninames -start 12345
BOA_init falied: cannot use port 12345 to accept incoming IIOP calls.
...and this problem persists for all port numbers I tried.
I looked at the list archive, and found posting by Chris Collins
http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/archives/1997-09/0016.html
who had the same problem. However, I didn't find any responses.
On another machine, it works and printed IOR. I added it into
registry. But when I try to run omninames again, the result is:
C:\>omninames
Configuration error: Invalid object reference supplied for NAMESERVICE.
abnormal program termination
Perhaps I simply miss something, but I can't find help in the docs.
If anyone can help, I'll be grateful.
Regards,
--
  Jarek