[omniORB] Significance of --enable-threads for building egcs-1.1

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
27 Oct 1998 14:34:51 +0000

>> Shinji,
>>
>> I didn't read the example carefully and you are right the process limit is
>> not the problem.
>>
>> I ran your test and got some interesting result.
>>
>> I can reproduce your problem on a Redhat 5.1 machine with a 2.0.34 kernel.
>>
>> *BUT* when I repeated the test on a machine with a 2.1.125 kernel, the
>> problem goes away.
>>
>> Seems to me its a bug in the kernel which has since been fixed in 2.1.
>>
>> Hope you can reproduce my result.
>>
>> Sai-Lai
> Something like this came up in some linux newsgroup. I beleive the
> solution was to upgrade glibc-2.06 to glibc-2.07. It seems that redhat
> 5.0 shipped with a bug in the thread part of glibc.

Thanks for the pointer and I managed to have success with a 2.0.35 kernel
running a later version of glibc. However, the bug is around in redhat-5.1's
glibc-2.0.7-13 but not in glibc-2.0.7-19. So it seems upgrading the library
is the solution.

Sai-Lai