[omniORB] problems with omniORB 2.6.1 on IRIX

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
27 Oct 1998 12:08:55 +0000

>> > The exact problem is that omnithread seg faults
>> > at static initialisation time, ie before main()
>> > is called.  It falls over when calling
>> > pthread_key_create. As I mentioned before, it's OK
>> > when not linked with omniORB. It doesn't work with
>> > either IRIX 6.4 or 6.5 (6.4 uses a suitably modifed
>> > platform makefile).

> I encountered same problem.

>> Gerd Schmitt reported earlier on this list (in
>> http://www.orl.co.uk:80/omniORB/archives/1998-08/0045.html) that the
>> problem is caused by an initialisation problem of rld. He suggested a
>> change in the linking order.

> I tried it but it does not work on my system configuration. It seems
> that SGI systems need many patches, and I am very unexperienced with
> it...

Liutger Franzen posted earlier (in
http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/archives/1998-09/0077.html) to explain how
thread safe exception handling is done with SGI MIPS Pro 7.2. It might just
be the case that some of the SGI problems stem from an old pthread-library.

You can tell I haven't got a clue what is wrong with IRIX. Some users have
obviously got omniORB2 working happily. Others cannot.

>> You may also have problem linking some of the application programs on
>> IRIX 6.5.  See my note in <top>/README.SGI.  > sorry, I did'nt found
>> it... only
>> ./omniORB2/src/lib/omniORB2/gatekeepers/tcpwrapper/README.IRIX

It is a new addition to 2.6.1. Anyway it just contains an extract of the
feedback from Geert Albert Smant on getting omniORB2 to work on SGI. The
full text is in http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/archives/1998-10/0051.html.

Sai-Lai

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND