[omniORB] problems with omniORB 2.6.1 on IRIX

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
26 Oct 1998 17:21:38 +0000

> I can't get the new version of omniORB (2.6.1) to
> work under IRIX. The example code in examples/thread
> works fine - unless it is linked with omniORB2.so
> and tcpwrapGK.so, in which case it dies. The echo
> example fails in the same manner.

> The exact problem is that omnithread seg faults
> at static initialisation time, ie before main()
> is called.  It falls over when calling
> pthread_key_create. As I mentioned before, it's OK
> when not linked with omniORB. It doesn't work with
> either IRIX 6.4 or 6.5 (6.4 uses a suitably modifed
> platform makefile).

> This is puzzling, especially as I ported v 2.5.0 to
> IRIX and it seemed perfectly happy once it compiled.
> Any help would be much appreciated.

Gerd Schmitt reported earlier on this list (in
http://www.orl.co.uk:80/omniORB/archives/1998-08/0045.html) that the
problem is caused by an initialisation problem of rld. He suggested a
change in the linking order.

You may also have problem linking some of the application programs on IRIX 6.5.
See my note in <top>/README.SGI.

If someone can give me an explanation of how that linker works and how the
link order affects the initialisation, please drop me a message.

Sai-Lai

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND