[omniORB] pthreads / DCE-threads

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
06 Oct 1998 18:53:42 +0100

> I think it's in general possible to compile omniORB and omniThread
> with DCE threads, isn't it?

Yes.

> Unfortunately, I have a porting task to Dynix/ptx,
> which doesn't support threads directly,
> only IEEE POSIX 1003.1-1990, 1003.2.
> For Dynix, DCE-threads are available from a third party vendor.
> I think it supports BSD-Sockets, too (essential for omniORB porting,
> right?)

> I've read about companies, who have ported their mutithreaded software to
> this platform via DCE-threads, so is it right to say:

> You can satisfy thread function calls
> via DCE-thread calls?

We used to run omniORB2 on top of the pthread implementation from
University of Florida. It is based on Pthread draft 6 I think. You may be
able to find a port for Dynix. DCE-threads is very similar to pthread so it
should not be hard. Only have to do minor changes to omnithread
(src/lib/omnithread/posix.cc).

As long as the thread package provides wrappers for send(), recv(),
connect(), accept() etc, a port is quite straightforward.

Sai-Lai

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND