[omniORB] Security service implementation?

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
11 Nov 1998 10:53:30 +0000

> I need the corba security service. Is somebody working on putting it into
> omniORB? If so: Can I help? If not: Is there special documentation on putting
> services into omniORB? Is omniORB security ready?

My understanding of the security service spec is that it has not nailed
down various important points to make it useful for implementing a service
that is guaranteed to interoperate with other implementations.

Therefore running IIOP over SSL seems to be the only option to guarantee
interoperability.

I guess for your application, you would like to be able to do better than
using SSL. May be some way of hooking up to the GSS API. According to Bill
Janssen, ILU has an API to make it easy to plug in GSS API. If I'm not
mistaken, DSTC is working on a security service with GSS support and
omniORB2 is one of their platforms. The latter however is not a free/open
source software. At the moment, we do not have the manpower to work on a
security service. If you or anyone is willing to take up the baton, I
suggest we work on ensuring that the implementation can interoperate with
ILU or any other ORB implementations (if they are willing to disclose the
details).

All of these is possible and I can point you to the part of the code where
the insertion point should be.

An IIOP over SSL transport has already been done, it has to be integrated
in a nice way into the ORB. I prefer not to merge it into the release
source until IIOP 1.1 is properly supported by the ORB.

Regards,

Sai-Lai

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND