[omniORB] unresolved symbols in omniORB_2.6.1_alpha_osf1_4.0.tar.gz

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
03 Nov 1998 19:17:39 +0000

> I've downloaded the binary distribution of omniORB2 for alpha osf1
> compiled with cxx because our attempts to compile omniORB2 with egcs 1.1b
> produced very instable executables (SIGSEGV and/or DECthreads bugcheck
> (version V3.13-443)).
> Unfortunately there are some problematic dependencies to shared libraries.
> So we're missing the symbol __cxx_handler_exit__X4need3new8libcxxso in our
> libcxx.so. There is only a symbol __cxx_handler_exit , means: a function
> without parameters.
> May be statically linked executables would be a better solution than
> dynamically linked in such cases!?!
> When will the omniORB_2.6.1_alpha_osf1_4.0.tar.gz archive be updated?

The binary omniORB_2.6.1_alpha_osf1_4.0.tar.gz can only be used with
Digital C++ compiler v6.0 on Digital Unix 4.0D. In general it is not
possible to link C++ object code produced by one compiler with another
compiler. Therefore it is not possible to use egcs with the binaries we
provided.

My impression is that egcs 1.1x is still quite immature on DU in its
support for multithreaded EH handling. I suggest you stick with the
compiler provided by DEC.

Regards,

Sai-Lai

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND