[omniORB] Questions...

Andrew L. Sandoval sandoval@perigee.net
Sun, 31 May 1998 01:10:55 -0400

I apologize if this topic has been discussed recently... I just joined
the list.

I just installed RedHat 5.1 and compiled omniORB 2.5.0 using egcs
(without patches) and everything is running great!  (I also am running
2.5.0 on Solaris 2.5.1 using gcc/g++)  I had nothing but problems with
RedHat 5.0, but, 5.1 is doing well.

Here are my questions:
1) Is there anything in omniORB similar to a "Transformer" in Orbix?  To
do anything serious for work I have to be able to implement some type of
security.  I was thinking of building ties to DCE security (or
Kerberos.)

2) If I run something simple like eg3_impl on more than one box, only
the last one registered get returned on lookups (even if it is no longer
running, but, the other one is...)  Is this being fixed?  I would
imagine that it should work more like CDS in DCE where one (randomly
chosen) entry is returned.  --An alternative would be to use multicast
to find running instances of an object and return to the client the one
with the lowest load, etc...

Thanks,
Andrew Sandoval
sandoval@perigee.net

P.S. > I am impressed with what is available in omniORB, and even more
impressed that it is freely available!