[omniORB] VC++ 5: omniORB Mishandling Exceptions! Other errors!

Arne Christensen arc@pine.dk
Fri, 22 May 1998 12:31:43 +0200 (MET DST)

Sai-Lai Lo writes:

> dmorgen@alum.mit.edu (David Morgenlender) writes:
>

> > catior comes up with an ASSERTION failure when I do this.  This is what's
> > printed until that point (nothing else is printed if I say to ignore the =
> > error):
> >
> > 	Type ID: "IDL:Echo:1.0"
> > 	Profiles:
> > 	1. IIOP 1.0 127.0.0.1 0 "5b.\........"
> >
> > That's not the IP address of the ETS-Kernel box!
> >
> > How do I correct that?
> >

> The IP address is the loopback interface.
> The ORB first uses gethostname() to get the name of the host  and then uses
> gethostbyname() to obtain the IP address of the host. It always picks the
> first one from the list of addresses returned by gethostbyname().
>
> Usually, /etc/hosts has an entry localhost which resolves to 127.0.0.1.
> May be gethostname() on your machine returns "localhost"!
>
> Anyway, you can tell the ORB what address to use directly by specifying
> the environment variable OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAME_VAR
>
> e.g.
>
> Suppose your machine's name is wib:
>
> set OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAMEVAR=wib

Not in order to be picky (at least not more that omniORB is), but
ain't that just OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAME ?

----
Arne Christensen
Pine Tree Systems A/S,  Snedkervej 12,  DK-2630 Taastrup,  Denmark
Email: arc@pine.dk       Fax: +45 43 71 43 42       Voice: +45 43 71 07 04