[omniORB] About binding

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Fri, 27 Mar 1998 08:49:01 -0500

In Message <Pine.A32.3.95q.980326235228.51162B-100000@violins.comet.columbia.edu> ,
   Seong-Gu Kim <sgkim@comet.columbia.edu> wrote:

=>Hello.
=>I am a student who is working with Prof. Andrew Campbell at Columbia Univ.
=>
=>Recently, I am doing a project for binding in mobile networks
=>withomniORB_2.4.0. But I couldn't find out an example source code for
=>binding. For example, in Orbix, they explained about _bind() with 7 pages.
=>I'd like to know about the detail how omniORB bind. Could you please give
=>me some information for binding and about string_to_object() source code?

   bind() is a vendor-specific extension. To be portable you want to
use the CORBA Name Service, which is implemented in OmniORB as
OmniNames. You can find an example of how to use the name service in
src/examples/echo/eg3* in the OmniORB source. Note that bind means
"bind this address to this name" in the CORBA name service, not "give
me a reference for this name" as it does for Visibroker (and probably
Orbix, though I haven't used it.) In the CORBA name service, the latter
is called resolve().
   If you are set up to use the name service, you probably don't need
string_to_object(). But if you do want to use it, take a look at the
source in src/examples/echo/eg2* .

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories