[omniORB] Dereference FAQ?

Fredrik Jonsson fredrik.jonsson@sea.ericsson.se
Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:02:42 +0100

On Thursday, March 19, 1998 12:43 PM, storm@ifad.dk [SMTP:storm@ifad.dk]
wrote:
> If I get your question right, I believe it has been dealt with in the
> following messages:
>
> http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/archives/1998-Mar/0005.html
> http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/archives/1998-Mar/0010.html
> http://www.orl.co.uk/omniORB/archives/1998-Mar/0021.html

The solution offered is based on maintaining an own hashtable but
since it seems to be such a common situation I'm surprised that
it is not standardized in Corba2. (As soon as you have two objects
which interworks, and you dont want to publish implementation
interfaces, you end up wanting to be able to dereference the object
pointer to an implementation object.)

Orbix does it by providing a virtual void* CORBA::Object::_deref()
that the user can specialize, which in my opinion is also not perfect.

Yes, I wish C++ typecasting could be used but would be perfectly
satisfied with a member function or operator returning the
implementation object by the corresponding type, and not by base
class type.

-- Fredrik Jonsson