where does polymorphism occur?

Gavin Matthews matthews@iona.com
Mon, 16 Mar 1998 16:04:20 +0000

Hi,

At 12:10 AM 3/16/98 -0500, Graydon Hoare wrote:
>Hi. I've got a small question I can't suss from the corba documentation:
>where does corba polymorphism occur, at the idl level or at the C++ level,
>or both?

Only at C++ level, you can work around this limitation by the use of CORBA::Anys
though.

>I've got an object which inherits a method from its parent, and I want the
>implementation to specialize the call for a certain subclass of the
>argument type. Do I need to write the specilized form in the IDL in order
>to marshall the call properly, or will C++ vtbls do it if I just implement
>an overloaded form?

If you make the argument type CORBA::Any then you can put what ever
you like into it and rely on the server/client knowing what's coming.

gavin

   Gavin Matthews		Tel  : +353-1-6625255
   IONA Technologies 	Fax  : +353-1-6625244
   The IONA Building	matthews@iona.com
   8-10 Lower Pembroke St.,	http : //www.iona.com/
   Dublin 2, Ireland