specific client to specific server object

Tom Gardner tomg@iopen.com
Mon, 09 Mar 1998 16:25:32 -0800

Gary:

What you have suggested is pretty close to
what I have implemented.  I pass a callback
object from the client to server and the
server uses it to update the client periodically.

It ends up that omniORB keeps pretty good track
of each object that is registered in my
server process with the omniObjectKey struct.
It was me that was screwing up my return
objects back to the client ... everything
seems to work ok now.

thanks for the response.

tomg

Gary D. Duzan wrote:

> In Message <3504274E.E440086A@iopen.com> ,
> =>
> =>When a client gets connected to one of these
> =>objects, I would like each subsequent
> =>invocation the client makes on the object
> =>to be channeled to the same implementation object.
> =>
> =>Is there an easy way to do this with omniORB?
>
>    Your best bet is probably to have a single "registration" interface
> that your clients use for their initial connection.  That interface can
> create a new implementation object, register it with the BOA, and
> return its object reference to the client.  The client is then the only
> holder of the object reference, so any access to the implementation
> object will be from that client.  This is not a secure solution, of
> course, since anyone sniffing the network could grab the reference or
> the client could give it to someone else, but it is probably good
> enough for many cases.  There is also the issue of cleaning up the
> implementation object when the client dies unexpectedly. You don't want
> to leak implementation objects all over the place, but you don't want
> to cut off client connections just because the network is a little
> slow. A simple implementation would have the client pass an object
> reference with a "ping" interface to the server, which can use it to
> determine if the client is still alive, possibly retrying a few times
> before killing the session.
>
>                                         Gary Duzan
>                                         GTE Laboratories

Tom Gardner                      e-mail:  tomg@iopen.com
21120 Serene Way                 Phone:   (408) 927-6687
San Jose, CA 95120-1217          Fax:     (408) 927-8864