[omniORB] egcs 1.0.3 and OmniORB2

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Fri, 5 Jun 1998 17:55:14 +0100

> Hi, I wonder if egcs 1.0.3 can be used to compile OmniORB 2.5.0?   I know
> there was a patch against egcs-1.0 to make it compile OmniORB with safe
> exception handling, but that patch does not work on egcs 1.0.3.

> I have managed to get OmniORB to compile on the SGI with egcs 1.0.3
> (on Irix 6.2) but the executables crash randomly.

egcs 1.0.3 still has non-thread safe exception handling. This make it
unusable when the setjmp/longjmp is used to implement exception handling on
the platform. I think/guess is the case with SGI falls into this category.

The current egcs development snapshot is purported to support thread-safe
exception. I've been using egcs-980302 successfully on x86 Redhat 5.0. On
alpha linux it is still a no-go. I don't know if it works on SGI.

The random crash you are seeing is consistent with what I observe on alpha
linux and is related to whether exception-handling is thread safe.

If you can use SGI's C++ compiler, there is some hope to get omniORB2
running. See my next posting.

Regards,

Sai-Lai

--
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND