[omniORB] Scalability and maxStrands

Randy Shoup rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Thu, 04 Jun 1998 15:08:59 -0700

All --

  We have run into a scalability problem using omniORB2.5.0, and wanted
some input.  It seems that the maximum number of strands per rope is
hard-coded to 5 in tcpSocketMTfactory.cc(529).  This means that a single
client can only have 5 simultaneous connections to any particular
server.  I have several questions:

1. Is there any reason why this value is hard-coded to 5?
2. Would there be any problem increasing this value?
3. Are there any plans to make this more configurable -- e.g., through
an ORB command-line argument or compile-time parameter?

In addition, comments in rope.h(759) imply that for maxStrands of n, the
(n+1)'th request will block until a strand is released.  When we exceed
the number of strands, instead of blocking, omniORB throws an
exception.  This occurs both on NT4 and Solaris2.6.

4. Any chance this is fixed?

Thanks for your help,
-- Randy
Randy Shoup                                     (650)569-3682
Principal Engineer                              rshoup@tumbleweed.com
Tumbleweed Software Corporation