[omniORB] Questions...

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Mon, 01 Jun 1998 09:11:10 -0400

In Message <3570E65F.1C08E65B@perigee.net> ,
   "Andrew L. Sandoval" <sandoval@perigee.net> wrote:

=>I apologize if this topic has been discussed recently... I just joined
=>the list.
=>
=>I just installed RedHat 5.1 and compiled omniORB 2.5.0 using egcs
=>(without patches) and everything is running great!  (I also am running
=>2.5.0 on Solaris 2.5.1 using gcc/g++)  I had nothing but problems with
=>RedHat 5.0, but, 5.1 is doing well.
=>
=>Here are my questions:
=>1) Is there anything in omniORB similar to a "Transformer" in Orbix?  To
=>do anything serious for work I have to be able to implement some type of
=>security.  I was thinking of building ties to DCE security (or
=>Kerberos.)

   I don't believe this exists in the current release. I wouldn't be
at all surprised if it were added at some point, though.

=>2) If I run something simple like eg3_impl on more than one box, only
=>the last one registered get returned on lookups (even if it is no longer
=>running, but, the other one is...)  Is this being fixed?  I would
=>imagine that it should work more like CDS in DCE where one (randomly
=>chosen) entry is returned.  --An alternative would be to use multicast
=>to find running instances of an object and return to the client the one
=>with the lowest load, etc...

   This is the normal behavior associated with the CORBA Naming
Service.  It does a fairly simple mapping from names to object
references, and the implementation of eg3_impl simply replaces any
existing mapping. If you want multiple instances, you'll have to give
them different names. I believe some CORBA implementation support the
sort of object pooling you want, but in a non-portable way. The new POA
spec in CORBA 2.2 may help this situation, but I haven't explored it in
detail. It will be a bit before everyone supports the POA, of course,
and there is no guarantee that different implementations will have the
features you want.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories