[omniORB] Interworking with Java IDL

John Holman J.G.Holman@qmw.ac.uk
Thu, 16 Jul 1998 10:24:22 +0100

I've tried and failed to get the Java IDL (JDK 1.2beta3) and omniORB 2.5.0
(binary distribution, application in MSVC 4.2) ORBs interworking on Windows
95

For example (using an explicit IOR rather than the name service) an omniORB
client talking to a Java server produces an error on the server at the first request
on a remote object with stack trace

java.lang.OutOfMemoryError:
        at
com.sun.CORBA.iiop.LocateRequestMessage.read(LocateRequestMessage.jav
a:58)
        at com.sun.CORBA.iiop.IIOPInputStream.prefill(IIOPInputStream.java:97)
        at
com.sun.CORBA.iiop.IIOPConnection.createInputStream(IIOPConnection.ja
va:622)
        at com.sun.CORBA.iiop.ReaderThread.run(IIOPConnection.java:77)

If its a Java client talking to an omniORB server then at the first request the
client contacts the server (ie a trace of the server shows that a new thread
appears) but then hangs.

I've seen some discussion on this list about problems that Java IDL has working
with little endian ORBs - but also reports that some people have got it working
with omniORB.  Would someone explain whether this depends on the platform -
e.g. won't work on Intel, will work on Sun hardware? Are the difficulties I'm
having likely to be due to this problem?

The bug is on Sun's list at the Java Developer Connection as 4149775, and is
reported as fixed in 1.2beta4. Has anyone managed to get hold of this yet
and verified whether it now works?

Thanks, John.