[omniORB] using omniorb on FreeBSD

Gary D. Duzan gdd0@gte.com
Wed, 08 Jul 1998 09:05:49 -0400

In Message <Pine.GSO.3.95q.980708001104.19118K-100000@orion> ,
   Michael Kounavis <mk@comet.columbia.edu> wrote:

=>
=>Hello there,
=>
=> We want to use OmniORB on FreeBSD; is there any version
=>available? Does the Linux version run or easily portyed to
=>FreeBSD

   I made an effort to get OmniORB working on NetBSD/i386 a while back,
but the only thread package available was MIT (a.k.a. Provenzano (sp?))
pthreads, and it didn't seem to be working properly with C++. Some
locking problem, if I remember correctly. Using the patched egcs
instead of an ancient gcc might be of some help; I may try it if I get
a chance.
   The Linux emulation might get the tools working, but you still have
to build the generated stubs locally, and you'll need to link against
native OmniORB/OmniThread/pthread libraries, so there really should be
a native port. I know there is work to multithread the NetBSD kernel,
so we may get native pthreads out of that, but that doesn't really help
with FreeBSD. You might check with the FreeBSD folks about the state of
pthreads/C++ to see if they are in any better shape than NetBSD.  That
is the only real stumbling block as far as I can see.

					Gary Duzan
					GTE Laboratories

p.s. My work with NetBSD is unrelated to my work at Labs.