ORB crash on 2.6

James Mitchell jmitch@netamerica.com
Tue, 13 Jan 1998 15:39:35 -0800

>> I just discovered a problem when running my Solaris 2.5 executables on a
>> Solaris 2.6 machine. As 2.6 is said to be upwards compatible, everything
>> should work fine, but unfortunately it doesn't. My server applications
>> sometimes crash, producing the stack trace below. Dis anybody make the
>> same experiance. Does it help to recompile on Solaris 2.6 or is there
>> another work around?
>>

>This is a SunPro C++ specific problem. The solution is to recompile
>everything with the -mt compiler flag added. The -mt flag is present in the
>platform configure file in the snapshots but not in the omniORB_2.2.0
>distribution.

>Regards,

>Sai-Lai

I can be more specific:  The link for an executable must have the -mt
present.  The prebuild omniORB_2.2.0 libraries and executables
(omniNames, etc.) that are distributed for Solaris 2.5 work on my Ultra
1 running Solaris 2.6.

It does not seem to matter with the existing makefiles that objects are
compiled with -mt.  Of course to be safe, set -mt esp. since Sun states:

     -mt  Passes D_REENTRANT to preprocessor.  Appends  -lthread.
          If  you are doing your own multithread coding, you must
          use this option in the  compile  and  link  steps.   To
          obtain  faster  execution,  this option requires a mul-
          tiprocessor system. On a single-processor  system,  the
          resulting executable usually runs more slowly with this
          option.

--

James M. Mitchell
home:	(206) 526-9765	jmitch@netamerica.com