Problem with oneway calls

Bill Janssen janssen@parc.xerox.com
Mon, 5 Jan 1998 16:04:47 PST

Excerpts from mail: 5-Jan-98 Re: Problem with oneway calls Sai-Lai
Lo@orl.co.uk (1762*)

> IMHO, it is wrong to assume that an ORB would deliver oneway calls
> asynchronously. The fact that, when an object is remote, the call seems to
> exhibit asynchronous behaviour is purely a side-effect of the
> implementation. This should not be taken as a "standard" behaviour.

It's an interesting problem.  Sai-Lai is correct in  pointing out that
the omniORB interpretation of oneway is valid under CORBA rules.

ILU doesn't really have oneway, in ILU ISL.  Instead, we have the
ASYNCHRONOUS qualifier on methods, which does what Tobias is looking
for.  We do map OMG IDL `oneway' into ISL ASYNCHRONOUS, in our OMG IDL
support.

Bill