New Transport for omniORB

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 18:01:10 GMT

> Looking at the performance of omniORB I got  interested in using omniORB in
> an ATM (embedded) environment. That's why I have a few questions.

> Are you planning to release the code you mention in your mail (omniORB on
> AAL5)?
> If so, in wich release can we expect it ?
> If not is there another way to get it?

I think we are going to release the code at some stage. However, there is
still work that needs to be done to fully integrate the code into the
ORB. For instance, the selection of the best alternative when multiple
transports are available; the API to allow the application to control the
choice and the setup of connections etc. It is possible that we may release
the ATM related code before the other parts are completed. Personally, I
would like to see omniORB being used in demanding applications where
throughput and latency are critical. If your application fits into that
category, do let us know and I'll see what we can do.

> I think I read in one of your mails that you are using omniORB on
> an ARM based platform. Which compiler are you using ? (GNU,
> ARM C++ or another one)

We use a heavily modified gcc-2.7.2 based compiler. Last time we check
(more than a year ago), ARM C++ hasn't implemented exception and template.

Sai-Lai