Win95, Standalone computer

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Wed, 18 Feb 1998 17:43:43 GMT

> Under Windoze 95, I had the problems... the executables just hang.  Turns
> out that if you don't set OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAME=localhost, gethostbyname()
> never returns.

> If you have  a ppp connection to the internet with DNS set up, everything
> works fine without the variable set.  I looked through Winsock 2 to find
> another way to get a list of the local machine's interfaces, but I
> couldn't understand half the new garbage MS has added in.  There's
> probably a way, but..

> I'd like to find  a way to detect that automatically, but that might mess
> some things up.    I'm assuming IORs have the machines addresses encoded
> in them, and these would change if the address changes.  Is omniORB aware
> of runtime machine address changes?

Your analysis is correct. By default, omniORB enters into an IOR the IP
address of the machine. This can be overridden by OMNIORB_USEHOSTNAME as
you have done. If your ISP assigns IP address dynamically from an address
pool at connection time, there is no way to ensure you'll get the same
address each time. The ORB runtime cannot detect this and do something
about it.

I managed to dig out a message which gives more information on how to set
up Orbix on a standalone Window NT machine. I think it is applicable to
omniORB as well. Hope the information is useful.