[omniORB] Re: Connection Handler

Duncan Grisby dpg1001@cam.ac.uk
Tue, 22 Dec 1998 18:21:08 +0000

On Tuesday 22 December, David Riddoch wrote:

> I'm afraid that we don't provide any such proprietary hooks in omniORB.

[...]

> On Tue, 22 Dec 1998, Armen Yampolsky wrote:

> > In working with other ORB vendors, I had implemented an Evictor pattern,
> > wherein a map was maintained by the server, tracking all connected
> > clients and their respective objects. I had a handler for the
> > (proprietary) connected and aborted events. If a client dropped
> > unexpectedly, my server knew about it and cleaned up after it. Now I am

In addition to what David says, watching TCP connections to tell when
clients disconnect is not a sensible thing for any ORB to do. Clients
are permitted to close TCP connections at any time, and then
re-connect later. omniORB does this by default. It's not safe to
assume that a client has gone away just because its TCP connection has
closed.

 -- Duncan Grisby                        --
  -- dpg1001@cam.ac.uk, DGrisby@orl.co.uk --
   -- http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~dpg1001/    --