[omniORB] Unable to reach JavaIDL servers

Lam Dang dangit@ix.netcom.com
15 Dec 1998 20:51:15 -0500

My omniORB client can't reach my JavaIDL servers.
I'm going to describe my problem in some detail,
so please bear with me.

I have three Intel boxes.  Each can boot either
Windows NT 4.0 (SP4) or Redhat Linux 5.2 with
Kernel 2.1.109.  I'm using JDK1.2rc2 for NT and
omniORB 2.6.1 for Linux.

>From simple examples of CORBA programming
(specifically, the Echo example in omniORB 2.6.1
and the Count example in Part I of Robert Orfali's
and Dan Harkey's book), I build a pair of
client/server for JavaIDL and another pair of
client/server for omniORB with the same IDL:

module CounterPortable {
  interface Count {
    attribute long sum;
    long increment();
  };
};

The JavaIDL client works with the JavaIDL server
using either JDK's tnameserv or omniORB'S
omniNames.

The omniORB client works with the omniORB server
using omniNames.

The JavaIDL client works with the omniORB server
using omniNames.

But the omniORB client doesn't work with the
JavaIDL server.  If tnameserv is the name server,
the omniORB client says it's "unable to contact
the naming service."  If omniNames is the name
server, the omniORB client says it's "unable to
contact the object."

In all cases, the client and the server run on
different boxes across an Ethernet.  In all cases,
the programs are run from unprivileged accounts
with -ORBInitialHost and -ORBInitialPort on the
command line.  (I've tried running the JavaIDL
servers as administrator, but it makes no
difference.)

Any help will be appreciated.  I checked this
mailing list's archive but found no items dealing
with my problem.
--
Lam Dang