[omniORB] Still help needed in porting Orbix application to omniORB

Jan Lessner jan@c-lab.de
Wed, 09 Dec 1998 14:13:03 +0100

Giovanni,
> As far as I understand it should be possible to have a client compiled
> using omniORB and a server compiled with Orbix. The ORB should do the
> work of passing the object from one to the other, so if they are CORBA2
> compliant they should be able to send and receive objects reciprocally.
> Can you confirm this?
Yes, with some minor exceptions as Orbix is (still?) not fully standard
compliant.

> Now, in my client application I bind to a CORBA object existing on the
> server side, using the _bind method providing the server name and the
> hostname on which the server runs. My application does not compile since
> _bind appears not to be a method of the object compiled using omniORB.
> Reading the documentation I did not find a solution. I must confess that
> I'm a novice in this field and not all the terms are clear to me. Does
> anyone has a simple answer to my problem, to be used at least as a
> starting point to learn about the way in which omniORB binds to remote
> objects?
The bind Funktion is a propriatary Orbix feature which is not part of
the CORBA standard, that's why you don't have it available in omniORB
(to be precise: I'm not sure if the function itself is non-standard but
it's implementation definitely is). A standard way is to use a name
service for object registration and lookup. However, if you do so you
still have to live with the proplem how to find the naming service.
There *is* a standard function (resolve_initial_references) but again
it's implementation is different in Orbix and omniORB. However, the
omniORB way (the name service' root context IOR is stored in a config
file, refered to by env. variable OMNIORB_CONFIG) is very simple, so you
can easily add appropriate code in your Orbix server to find the omniORB
naming service. That's how we solved this problem.

Regards,

	Jan Lessner, C-LAB