[omniORB] Help needed: operator <<= is ambiguous

Giovanni Organtini Giovanni.Organtini@roma1.infn.it
Thu, 03 Dec 1998 09:48:43 +0000

Hi,
I'm working on a High Energy Physics project named CRISTAL. We are
considering omniORB as one of the possible solutions for our ORB (we
used Orbix until now, bue we would like to support linux, that's not
supported by Orbix). I tried to compile our applications using omniORB
and Visual C++ 5.0, but I got errors. Those errors was not given when I
was using Orbix. I have a structure made more or less as follows:

struct GField {
     string mName;
     string mType;
     any mValue;
}

and in the code there are lines such as aField.mValue <<= something. The
<<= operator works well for every type but for variables of type string
whose characters are extracted using the data() method:

aField.mValue <<= (const char *)aString.data();

I tried converting it into a string type, char *, and other similar
variants, but I did not succeded. The error I get during compilation is
that the operator <<= is ambiguous.

Does anyone has a solution for that? Thank you.

Giovanni