[omniORB] Multiple ports in one process.

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
02 Dec 1998 12:31:48 +0000

> On command-line it is possible to tell the BOA (-BOAiiop_port) that it
> should use port X for IIOP communications.=20

> Is it at all possible to set up two interfaces with different IIOP port=
> in the same object space?

> This would be valuable for me. By setting one of the ports open through
> the firewall and have the other closed I could communicate with clients
> outside without giving full access.

You can have multiple -BOAiiop_port options specified on the command line
and the ORB would initialise each of the ports to accept IIOP connections.

However, the IORs given out would also contain all the ports, one profile
for each port. Now there is no guarantee that a client would exhaustively
tried out all the profiles to find one it can use to establish a
connection. So in you example, the client outside the firewall may well
give up when it failed with the closed port.

A workaround is to create an IOR in the application code by extracting th=
object key from the implementation object and fill in the port and addres=
information yourself. Hence you have the choice to insert the port most
suitable for the client. The code in genior can serve as an example on ho=
w to
do this.

Regards,

Sai-Lai

--=20
Dr. Sai-Lai Lo                          |       Research Scientist

E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Researc=
h Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND