[omniORB] Re: VisiBroker compatibility and Callback support

Mark Shacklette mshack@interaccess.com
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 20:22:17 -0500 (CDT)

> > 2. Does omniORB support callbacks from server to the client?
> >    In fact, some event sending mechanism from server to client
> >    would also be suitable for my purpose. The important criterium
> >    is that the server has to be able to initiate some action
> >    on the client side.

> In fact the so-called client callbacks are nothing else but CORBA
> requests from server to client.

This is something I've never understood.  If the above is true, then it implies
that skeleton code must be linked into the client, and I'm not sure how this
would be done (and more importantly, where it would come from).  How would one
write some idl such that a client could call a function on a server, or would
you do that at all?  I've got no idea how to implement a callback.  I know the
"idea", but have no idea how you would implement it.  Any help on how it would
be done would be appreciated.

Mark

J. Mark Shacklette                            J. Mark Shacklette
Principal Partner                    Committee on Social Thought
Integral Consulting, Inc.                  University of Chicago
Three First National Plaza          jmshackl@midway.uchicago.edu
70 West Madison, Suite 1400
Chicago, IL 60602
312.214.6110