[omniORB] starving for more examples...

Nathan Banks banks@iex.com
Fri, 14 Aug 1998 13:09:57 -0500

Bill Flanders wrote:

> Nathan,
> I too am starving for more examples...
> Any simple ones would do, such as, two objects each residing in different
> memory spaces, each calling the other's operations.  I am a CORBA newbie
> and learn best by example...
> Did you find any examples with this query?
> Thanks,
> Bill

Bill,

Unfortunately, no one responded. Perhaps my question was not specific enough to
the goals of the mailing list. I later found the comp.object.corba discussion
group was a more appropriate outlet for such questions, but have not posted to
it as of yet.

We are also looking at the Orbacus software. It is free for non-commercial use
and has a low cost licensing structure for commercial deployment. I mention this
only because there are some very good examples packaged with it. I recommend you
download it, just for the examples.

Orabcus' C++ mapping is not as stringent as OMNIOrb's and we will have to make
more changes than I expected to use its ORB interfaces. It is not as efficient
as OMNI, but it does support event services which is useful to us. My collegues
think the Orbacus Naming Service is easier to use as well - they prefer a simple
port based proprietary scheme Orbacus uses. I am reluctant to use something
other than OMNI - the marshalling is sooo fast, but we really need event
services.

Most of the books I have purchased have been lacking details.
I have high hopes for a book I ordered from http://www.amazon.com which has not
been published yet:

1 copy of "C++ Programming with CORBA"
 Andreas Vogel, et al; Paperback; @ $31.99 each
     (Not yet released by publisher)

Cheers,
Nathan

--
 /| |\  Nathan Banks                             Email: banks@iex.com
/ | | \ IEX Corporation                          Voice: +1.972.301.1206