[omniORB] Re: VisiBroker compatibility and Callback support

Jan Lessner jan@c-lab.de
Mon, 10 Aug 1998 11:26:38 +0200

Zsolt,
> 1. Is omniORB compitable with the VisiBroker ORB built into
>    Netscape 4.x, so that I could use a Java Applet from Netscape
>    to access a C++ server based on omniORB2 ?
We are using that for quite a while now and it looks pretty good.

> 2. Does omniORB support callbacks from server to the client?
>    In fact, some event sending mechanism from server to client
>    would also be suitable for my purpose. The important criterium
>    is that the server has to be able to initiate some action
>    on the client side.
In fact the so-called client callbacks are nothing else but CORBA
requests from server to client. They don't work with an unsigned Java
Applet due to the limittations of the Java sandbox. Neither omniORB nor
VisiBroker nor any other CORBA system helps it. Of course it works with
HotJava ;-) As we also need client callbacks in Java Applets ee built a
work-araound solution for that. But that's very propriatary.

Regards,

	Jan Lessner, C-LAB