[omniORB] FreeBSD ported, but a build environment glitch

Russell L. Carter rcarter@consys.com
Fri, 03 Apr 1998 11:37:01 -0700

Hi all,
I have ported 2.5.0 to FreeBSD-current (3.0), but have a
difficulty with the build environment that needs
to be fixed before the port will build without tweaks.

First, FreeBSD needs -fpic for object files destined for
a shared library, only.  Often these files are given a
.so extension.  So I'd like a rule like this (SHAREDLIBFLAGS=-fpic)

%.so: %.cc
	$(CXX) -c $(SHAREDLIBFLAGS) $(CXXFLAGS) %.cc -o %.so

and for other .o's (for instance, the stubs resulting
from the example program idls) keep the usual

%.o: %.cc
	$(CXX) -c $(CXXFLAGS) -o $@ $<

>From perusing the other .mk files it looks like I might
be able to do this with the help of the macros that generate the
library dependencies, but so far I have not figured
this out.  What is the best way to do this?  Can it be done just
in the platform make file, e.g., freebsd-3.0.mk?

Really stupid question #2 (blushing), how do I invoke VeryCleanRule?

All of the examples work, with the possible exception of prio.

Thanks,
Russell

--
Russell L. Carter                                 http://consys.com