omniORB instrumentation

Giovanni Rimassa rimassa@pistola.ce.unipr.it
Wed, 3 Sep 1997 16:33:07 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi everybody,

here at Parma University, in Italy, we're working on a distributed computing
development environment with Linux and we plan to use omniORB.
To provide debugging support, our first step is to instrumentate CORBA
calls, but we don't want to depend too much on omniORB internals.
So we thought of using an implementation object proxy to log messages between
ORB and object implementations, but to create a general, dynamically adjustable
proxy DII and DSI are probably needed.

The questions are:

  - When will these features be ready ?

  - If we act on omniORB's source code (and resort to specific per-server
    proxy objects to be written and compiled by application programmers),
    where can we insert suitable hooks unobtrusively ? How hard would this
    be ?

  - Would you be interested in embedding our eventual work in future versions
    of omniORB ?

Thank you in advance,

	Giovanni Rimassa	(rimassa@ce.unipr.it)