no threads

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
30 Oct 1997 10:15:10 +0000

Maximilian Ott <max@ccrl.nj.nec.com> writes:

> Therefore, I can't understand how one can program a single threaded ORB
> with a synchronous model. The above scenario doesn't deadlock, but I think
> it will be possible (I speak from experience :)
>
> Do I make sense ?

Agree. I also think that serving incoming call "on top of the stack" of a
pending outgoing effectively introduces multiple thread of execution in the
address space. It may break the application if it is not designed to be
reentrant. Such facility should be marked with a big warning label "Use at
your own risk".

Regards,

Sai Lai

--
E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND