no threads

Maximilian Ott max@ccrl.nj.nec.com
Tue, 28 Oct 1997 11:28:44 -0500 (EST)

Hi,

We would like to incorporate omniorb into our system but have one problem.
For reasons I can explain offline, we don't want to use threads. Our
system is entirely event driven.

If I understand the omniorb design documents correctly, this shouldn't be
a problem for the server side. It waits for an incoming request, processes
it and returns a result. This maps nicely on an event model.

The client side is different. A call to a server object blocks the current
thread, which continous when the reply comes back. As an event model leads
itself to an asynchronous style, we can restrict all methods to be
"oneway". In this case the client would not need to block.

How difficult would it be to take out the thread related stuff.

Thanks,

-max