moving from interface class to implementation class

Bernd Daum daum@dik.maschinenbau.tu-darmstadt.de
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 20:40:47 +0200 (MET DST)

Hi everybody!

Since implementation classes are derived from
skeleton classes and they are derived from the
stub classes, it's something difficult, to get
a pointer to the implementation object.

Example:

IDL:

interface A {.....};

C++:

class A_i: virtual public _sk_A {};

If i have an object reference ('ref') for an A and
want to get an pointer ('p') for the implementation
object, i usually use the C++ dynamic cast:

A_ptr ref;
A_i* p = dynamic_cast<A_i*>(ref);

My problem:
-----------
We are currently working on a Digital Unix platform using
the DEC C++ Compiler, version 5.5, which doesn't support
the C++ dynamic cast.

Is there anybody who knows, how to cast from an interface class
to an implementation class without using the C++ -
dynamic cast (other Orbs offer for this case macros)?

Thank you in advance.

Bernd Daum

Dipl.-Ing. Bernd Daum                            DDDD          K   K
FG Datenverarbeitung in der Konstruktion (DiK)   D   D   ***   K  K
TU Darmstadt                                     D    D  ***   K K
Petersenstr.30                                   D     D       KK
D-64287 Darmstadt                                D     D  I    KK
Phone: +49 6151 16 5441                          D    D   I    K K
Fax:   +49 6151 16 6854                          D   D    I    K  K
Email: daum@dik.maschinenbau.tu-darmstadt.de     DDDD   IIIII  K   K