"pure virtual method called", where's the bug?

Bastiaan Bakker Bastiaan.Bakker@harbinger.nl
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 14:45:08 +0200

Hi there,

An omniORB based server I'm working at performs call backs to it's
(remote) clients.However these call backs often fail because the actuall
method call is not done on the skeleton of the client but directly on
the interface class. Of course the interface class does not have an
implementation of the method, so this results in a "pure virtual method
called" message and a server abort.  This happens both with the GNU
compiler under Linux and Solaris and the MS VC++ compiler under WINNT
(and with the SUNPRO compiler too a.f.a.i.k.s.), so it seems unlikely to
be a a compiler bug. Ergo, it looks like either a bug in my code or in
the omniORB. Can anybody tell me what I or the orb is doing wrong and
how I can fix it? These 'pure virtual...' message are getting pretty
frustrating.

Thanks in advance,

Bastiaan Bakker                        Bastiaan.Bakker@Harbinger.NL