Macintosh Version

Arne Christensen arc@pine.dk
Wed, 26 Nov 1997 09:54:27 +0100 (MET)

Billy Newport writes:

> Has anyone ported omniORB to the Mac yet? I'm about to try and I
> was wondering if someone could save me some time with some past experience.

We are using omniORB2 with a fairly simple Mac client. "Fairly simple"
here means that it is single-threaded (kind of forced upon us by the
Mac) and primarily makes calls to our server, while the server is very
restricted in what calls (callbacks) it makes to the client.  Basically,
the server may call callback objects on the client side as part of the
processing it does, meaning the the Mac client accepts calls from the
outside only when waiting for the response to a call it has made itself.

Needless to say, our server does not run on a Mac...

I have made the necessary changes to omniORB2. We're not quite yet
done with our testing, but it's not that bad either...

We're using a Winsock library from NetManage (see
http://supportweb.netmanage.com/faq/winsock-mac.html) so the bulk of
changes were in a lot of #ifdefs in order to have the right pieces of
code compiled in for the Mac. We use Microsoft Visual C++ for Mac.

I'd like to port our changes to the upcoming version 2.4.0 of omniORB,
but due to a lack of time this probably will be postponed until
after New Year.

I have put our changes on our FTP server at
   ftp://www.pine.dk/pub/arc/omniORB2/omniorb-chg.zip
In the zip file you will also find some modifications that I have
done to the IDL compiler. Read the readme file:
   ftp://www.pine.dk/pub/arc/omniORB2/readme

----
Arne Christensen
Pine Tree Systems A/S,  Snedkervej 12,  DK-2630 Taastrup,  Denmark
Email: arc@pine.dk       Fax: +45 43 71 43 42       Voice: +45 43 71 07 04