ORB Interoperability (Re: IOR)

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Wed, 28 May 1997 12:02:46 +0100

> I have found the Visibroker for Java from Visigenic has problems parsing
> the Omniorb IOR's.  I am using the IOR output from the eg2_impl example.
> Has anyone else tried this or had similar problems with IOR's?

Can you give me more details about the problem you are having?

Although we have not used Visibroker for Java, we have use eg2_impl to test
for interoperability with OrbixWeb 2.0.1. In fact, we have a deployed
application that uses OrbixWeb, omniORB2 and omniNames.

On a related issue, if you want to have clients running on another ORB to
talk to omniNames, there are several points to note:

1. The COS Naming IDL we use comes from ftp.omg.org and *DOES NOT* have the
   #pragma prefix "omg.org". The recent ORB Portability submission has mandated
   that all OMG IDLs should have the omg.org prefix pragma. AFAIK, HP's ORB
   plus has got this pragma in all the OMG IDLs they supply. If you want to
   have a HP ORBplus client talking to omniNames, you either have to
   comment out the pragma or to add the pragma to the IDL used by omniORB
   and recompile the distribution. Notice that the modified omniNames would
   not be able to read the data file produced by the original omniNames.
   We will move on to use omg.org prefix in future releases and will
   provide a conversion utility to translate the data file of omniNames.

2. Orbix 2.1 generates stub that produces a wrong repository ID on the wire
  (IDL:CosNaming_NamingContext:1.0 instead of IDL:CosNaming/NamingContext:1.0).
   You have to patch the stub header in order to interoperate with
   omniNames. Orbix 2.2 may have fixed the problem but I cannot verify that
   until our update arrives.

Regards,

Sai-Lai Lo

--
E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND