why providing a .def file

Renzo Tomaselli renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.inet.it
Mon, 16 Jun 1997 15:50:50 +0200

Hi folks,
	I'm quite new to this list. I installed OmniORB2 on Win95; its runs fine.
I run into troubles when trying to recompile it for the debug version under
MSVC 5.0; the provided .def file doesn't match all compiled symbols, so I
had to exclude a lot of symbols from it (I believe they are really
unnecessary outside). I had similar problems when trying first to compile
the standard version under MSVC 4.0, since Microsoft changed the mangling
rules after 4.0.
So here is the big question: why not putting _OMNIORB_NTDLL_ in front of
all really exported classes and forgetting about providing a .def file ? As
far as I know this is the standard way for Win32. I even tried that way,
however all ORB/BOA stuff is not marked as exported along their class
definitions, so examples don't link.
A further question: why not providing the workspace (or project) files for
MSVC under Win32 ? They provide helpful support when debugging, and the
released makefiles seem generated from that source anyway.
Thanks,

		Renzo Tomaselli
TecnoTP s.n.c. Special Information System Design
Maso Pelauchi I38050 Ronchi Valsugana,  Trento TN  ITALY
Tel. +39 461 773164      Fax. +39 461 773180
e-mail: renzo.tomaselli@tecnotp.inet.it