Auto startup of servers

Sai-Lai Lo S.Lo@orl.co.uk
Tue, 8 Jul 1997 17:08:24 +0100

> Visibroker has a facility called, 'oad', that starts a server, if
> not running, when a client makes a call to the server. This is
> like a server-on-demand.

> Is there such a facility in omniOrb also or any way we can
> emulate it?

This dynamic server activition policy is one of the four activition
policies described in the Basic Object Adaptor specification.

omniORB only supports the persistent server policy and not 'server-on-demand'.

Having said that, all the APIs are there in omniORB to implement a daemon
application to do what is provided by Visibroker's oad or Orbix's orbixd.
If anyone is interested in implementing this daemon, please contact us for
more information.

Regards,

Sai-Lai Lo

--
E-mail:         S.Lo@orl.co.uk          |       Olivetti & Oracle Research Lab
                                        |       24a Trumpington Street
Tel:            +44 223 343000          |       Cambridge CB2 1QA
Fax:            +44 223 313542          |       ENGLAND